Thursday, December 23, 2010

Grinding Glass...

The better portion my free time during the months of September and October of 2010 was spent grinding fiberglass. I burned the motor out of one mini-grinder, and moved on to the next one. I can't count how many times I covered the entire garage with fiberglass dust, sucked it all up with the shop vac, and then covered it right back up again.

As I alluded to in an earlier post, the strakes caused a significant amount of extra labor. I didn't pull fillets along the sides before the glass was laid, which was the problem. There ended up being little voids all along the edges of the strakes. I couldn't see all the voids through the glass, so instead of taking any chances I opted to just grind all four strakes back down to the substrate. This took around 35 hours to complete. Once it was all ground down, I used a lighter fiberglass to reglass it. There were also some voids along the chines, so I ground back both sides for the first four or so feet, and then reglassed this part as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment