Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Crunch Time

A WHOLE lot has gone on since my last post. I have worked on the boat for the past three weekends (except one day--the day the hurricane came through). Also worked on it just about every week night too. Here are the things I have done since last post:
1) Faired the entire topside, including fine filling filling small lows and digs as well as pin holing.
2) Faired underneath gunnels where the rods will be stored (this part was miserable due to working in tight place).
3) Cut out deck holes for the read hatches to go, and cut out center console hatch hole.
4) Cut out front deck hatch, and built a ledge for it so it will lie flush with the deck. Borrowed my friend Scott Lindsay's router to make a trough around the lip so water won't go in the bilge.
5) Cut out access holes in the bulkheads so I can get to the below deck areas where different items will be mounted.
5) Put in reinforcing substrate material under the front deck so the deck will be able to support the weight of the trolling motor.
6) Built up strakes - they waved a little bit, so I used west systems 403 which has a little glass in it to even them out. I basically took a 2x4 and cut out the shape of the strake all the way across one end of it using the table saw at a 45 degree angle. Then I lined that cut out with plastic wrap, packed it with West 403, and then turned it over on top of the strake. This way, it cured in the shape of the strake. Once cured, I sanded it down, and then faired again using Interlux WaterTite.
7) Faired the spray rail using US composites fairing compound and epoxy.
8) Faired center console. It isn't perfect, and the reflection will walk a little on the sides, but it is close. Plus it will have things like speakers mounted on the sides, so hopefully that will cover some imperfections.
9) Made mount on floor using divinycell where center console will mount.
10) Primed topside of the boat, and sanded down to be ready for slick coat.
11) Ordered the rest of the hardware I need for the boat. All I have left is the spray rail, poling platform, and seat cushion that Tommy from Salters Marine is going to make. Plus the wiring materials that Luke Donat will need.

Here are some pictures of the progress:
This is the fore deck taped off and ready to be cut out.

Fore deck after cutting out the hatch. I made it large enough so the fuel tank can be easily removed.

A load of fairing work, but she is finally ready for prime coat.


Robert, the friendly ghost.



Topside primed and sanded.

Boat flipped over thanks to the help of Kyle Hines, Juan Echevery, Robert (my helper) and the other Robert, my neighbor.

Robert and I getting the strakes lined up.

No comments:

Post a Comment