Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Center Console

Been kind of on hold, as I need Beau's help to spray the hull. In the interim I finished up the center console. This consisted of cutting a slick sheet (gel coat and fiberglass sheets) into the shape of each of the faces of the center console. Then I just basically epoxt the sheets to the substrate. Have to lay a board over it with some weight on top in order to get a fairly smooth surface. Sure saves on fairing time, but I was surprised at the amount of weight it adds. Center console is probably 30% heavier now that it has been slick sheeted.

Here's a little step by step on the console construction:

Built the plug out of wood

Then here it is after I foamed it, and pulled it off the plug.


This is what it looks like now after slick sheeting it all, and sanding all edges to round everything off.



I also faired out the substrate that goes on top of the poling platform. Used a fairing compound from US Composites, and was pretty pleased with the results. It smoothed itself out easily, and sanded nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment